Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) invites applicants for PhD positions.
Are you passionate about understanding the molecular basis of health and disease, and translating your findings into clinical applications? Are you interested in one of the following topics?
• Cardiovascular research and metabolic diseases
• Cancer and immunology
• Model systems and organoids
• Medical systems biology
• Computational biology and bioinformatics
• Omics data science
• Mathematical modeling
• Imaging and MRI
• Translational research
At the MDC, we believe that to be a great scientist, one needs to train a diverse set of competences. To support our PhD researchers to develop both personally and scientifically, we offer a structured PhD program in a research-intensive environment, including:
• Excellent scientific, international and supportive environment
• Individual PhD supervision and mentoring
• Advanced scientific, research-related and methods training
• Access to the state-of-the-art infrastructure
• Regular lectures and seminar series
• Framework program for personal and career development
• Participation in PhD symposia and retreats
• Travel grants for external courses and conferences
Students may join our, or become associated with the interdisciplinary Data Science School. The working language of the program is English.
Berlin is one of the most vibrant cities located in the heart of Europe. It offers an incredible load of entertainment, cultural and recreational activities. The MDC is situated at two locations in Berlin: majority of infrastructure is located on Campus Berlin-Buch, a modern science and biotechnology park with a clear focus on biomedicine, while laboratories and offices of the Berlin Institute for Medical Systems Biology (MDC-BIMSB) are located on Campus Berlin-Mitte. Family-friendly campus offers services to support the compatibility of work and family life, such as campus kindergarten or fully equipped Parent-child room. Join our community of 400 international PhD students and enjoy studying and living in Germany!
Who are we looking for?
• You are an enthusiastic student with a strong interest in Life Sciences
• Your degree is in biology, biotechnology, medicine, molecular medicine, chemistry, computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics or a related field
• You hold or expect to obtain a Master degree not later than August 2020
We are committed to meet today’s challenges in biology and medicine and realize that excellent science requires outstanding researchers. If you aspire to be one of them – welcome to the MDC!
How to apply? Via our!
Application deadline: January 12, 2020.
MDC adheres to principles of responsible research, good scientific practice, openness and transparency, and is committed to setting a good example as a scientific environment where scientists can flourish and grow, independently of their national or ethnic background, functional variation, sex/gender identity/alignment/orientation, family configuration, or other such feature of their persons or contexts.
Applications are submitted through our online recruitment portal. The required application documents include a research interest letter, CV, education, and contact details of two referees. Applications via email can unfortunately not be accepted.
After submission of your application, you will receive an automatic email confirming that your application has been received. To be eligible for review, your application must be submitted before the application deadline.
PhD researchers are fully funded through an initial 3-year employment contract with the MDC, according to 65% TVöD 13 (monthly net payment of approximately 1600 EUR). Health and social insurance are included in the contract. In many cases, contracts are extended for an additional year. Salaries are competitive to national standards. The tuition fees per semester are approximately 350 EUR, and include public transportation ticket.
Six months from the Interview Week.
Application deadline: January 12, 2020