The Berlin Institute of Health (BIH) is a joint research institute of the Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin and the Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) in the Helmholtz Society. The research focus of the institute is translational medicine: how to move discoveries from basic research into the clinic in order to develop new therapeutic and diagnostic strategies. The BIH Metabolomics and Proteomics Platforms are central to this vision, offering the technological basis for systematic and collaborative research. In our platforms we use the latest generation of high pressure liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (HPLC-MS) and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) instruments in conjunction with novel bioinformatics approaches to study the role of metabolites and proteins in diseases.
We are looking for an Engineer/Instrument Specialist to maintain, operate and repair a variety of HPLC and MS instruments. Based at the Max Delbrück Center in Berlin-Buch, the ideal candidate will be highly organized, capable of working independently and with the ability to react appropriately and flexibly when time-pressured instruments require repair. They need also to be capable of communicating and working with others, both inside and external to the platforms. The role will be split equally between the Metabolomics and the Proteomics Platforms.
Engineer or Instrument Specialist for mass spectrometry-based metabolite and protein analysis.
- Maintenance, operation, and repair of GC and HPLC systems, such as Thermo NanoEasy-LC 1200, Eksigent ekspert nanoLC, or Agilent 1290 Infinity, and mass spectrometers, such as the Thermo Q Exactive Plus, Orbitrap Fusion, or Quantiva and Leco Pegasus GC-MS systems
- Repair and maintenance of related equipment including Gerstal and Triversa autosamplers, Owlstone FAIMS and assorted small equipment will also form part of the role
- Regular quality assessment of LC-MS and GC-MS instruments with metabolite and protein/peptide standards
- Maintenance, operation, and repair of sample preparation robots, such as the RTC Pal System and a custom built Zinsser robot
- Support of data management in LIMS systems
- General lab organization (ordering, solvent preparation, and protocol documentation, etc.)
- Where required, develop and validate new methods e.g. for automated sample preparation, chromatography and mass spectrometry analysis of metabolites and proteins/peptides, including data analysis
- Participation in conferences, meeting and further training as required to maintain the Platforms at the highest technological level
Make a difference! We believe in selecting people based on their abilities, not on their stereotypes. We will strive to give all capable candidates an opportunity and select candidates based only on their ability to do the job. We are happy to discuss flexible work patterns if requested, job sharing or other solutions that enable strong candidates to work better.
- The applicant should have a degree either in an appropriate engineering subject or related degree, or more than three years of experience in a bio-analytical research lab, with a Bachelor degree or higher, and a strong focus on maintenance and repair of LC- and GC-MS devices. PhD level candidates are also welcome to apply
- An affinity for complex technical instruments is a requirement. A track record on identifying, pursuing and fixing problems of a technical nature is an advantage and experience in the operation of GC-MS, LC-MS and sample preparation robots is a strong advantage
- The ability to independently seek out and understand new technical information and keep up to date is essential
- Computer literate, knowledge of coding is a plus. A knowledge of either R or Python is an advantage
- An understanding of the physics of mass spectrometry is important, as is attention to detail and the ability to be independently highly organised
- High accuracy, reliability and exact documentation and communication skills are important
- Strong motivation and sense of responsibility
The MDC is an equal opportunity employer and supports gender equality.
Please send your application in English until September 10, 2018 indicating the registration number 10978/2018 by e-mail (at most two pdf-files), with all typical documents (max. 5 MB) to email@example.com.
Salary according to TVöD-Bund (Ost) up to level E13 dependent on qualifications and experience.
A company pension scheme is part of the salary package.
A friendly working environment in an international team awaits you. The idyllic campus can be easily reached by bike, public transport or car. Amongst other things, there is a fitness studio, a kindergarten, a canteen and a café on the campus.
The MDC has been certified as a family-friendly company repeatedly.
As soon as possible
The position can be filled immediately with an initial contract for 2 years and an option for contract extension.
Until September 10, 2018