The Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) in the Helmholtz Association is an international biomedical research center dedicated to understanding the molecular mechanisms of health and disease with the goal to devise new diagnostics and medicines. The MDC is a member of the Helmholtz Association, Germany's largest scientific organization, and offers an engaging research environment with cutting-edge research infrastructure. Currently, ~1250 employees and ~500 guest scientists work at the Berlin-Buch and Berlin-Mitte campuses. Our diverse workforce is a core strength that inspires creativity and innovation at the MDC.
The MDC is committed to improving human health through transformative biomedical research. Our goal is to pioneer discoveries for preventing, treating, and ultimately curing disease.
Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) Berlin, together with its partners, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin and Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin, invites applicants for PhD positions.
Are you passionate about discovering the basis of health and disease, and applying your findings to answer clinically-relevant questions? Are you interested in one of the following topics?
- Cancer research
- Cardiovascular biology
- Cell biology
- Computational biology and data science
- Immunology and inflammation
- Mathematical modeling
- Medical systems biology
- Single-cell and omics technologies
- Stem cell research and organoids
- Structural biology
To become a great scientist, one needs to develop a diverse set of competences. The MDC International PhD Program supports its PhD researchers to grow both personally and scientifically. The structured PhD program comprises a diverse community of about 350 international PhD students and provides:
- An excellent scientific, international, collaborative and inclusive learning environment
- Individualized PhD supervision and mentoring
- Advanced scientific, research-related and methods training
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and core facilities
- Regular lectures, journal clubs and seminar series
- A structured program for personal and career development
- Participation in PhD symposia and retreats
- Travel grants for external courses and conferences
The working language of the program is English.
Students may, in addition, join our in Medical Systems Biology, or become associated with – MDC-Weizmann Helmholtz International Research School for Imaging and Data Science from the NAno to the MESo, or the interdisciplinary Data Science School.
Berlin is one of the most vibrant cities located in the heart of Europe. In addition to great science, it provides an inclusive and diverse living environment, with an incredible offer of entertainment, cultural and recreational activities.
The MDC is situated at two locations in Berlin: the majority of infrastructure is located on Campus Berlin-Buch, a modern science and biotechnology park with a clear focus on biomedicine, while laboratories and offices of the Berlin Institute for Medical Systems Biology (MDC-BIMSB) are located on Campus Berlin-Mitte. It is a family-friendly environment that offers services to support the compatibility of work and family life, such as campus kindergarten or a fully equipped Parent-child room.
Who are we looking for?
- You are an enthusiastic student with a strong interest in life and/or data sciences
- Your degree is in biology, biotechnology, medicine, molecular medicine, chemistry, computer science, data science, engineering, mathematics, physics or a related field
- You hold or expect to obtain a Master degree not later than September 2024
We are committed to meet today’s challenges in biology and medicine and realize that excellent science requires outstanding researchers. If you aspire to be one of them – we are looking forward to receiving your application!
How to apply? Via our ! Applications via email can unfortunately not be accepted.
Application deadline: March 03, 2024.
Desired starting date: Starting dates are arranged on the individual basis, latest 4 months from the interviews (September 2024)
- international working environment with communication in English and German
- interesting career opportunities and a range of opportunities for further qualification and training
- Compatibility of family and career certified by the workandfamily audit (“berufundfamilie audit”)
- Support for "New Berliners" through the MDC Welcome & Family Office
- On-campus health and fitness center
You also benefit from:
- A remuneration in accordance with the collective agreement for the federal public service (TVöD-Bund), including additional company pension schemes
- Flexible working hours and childcare support
- An idyllic green campus, which is easily accessible by bicycle, public transport or car
- A secure job, even in uncertain times
- Subsidy for the job ticket as well as discounts in the campus canteen
- Additional health benefits such as flu vaccination, eye test, ergonomics advice at the workplace, hygiene measures (medical mouth-nose protection, self-tests, disinfectants)
- The possibility of mobile working - also independent of the Corona situation
- Free use of Nextbike from the Buch S-Bahn station to the campus