The Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine in the Helmholtz Association (MDC) is a leading international biomedical research center with the goal of elucidating the molecular mechanisms of health and disease in order to create the basis for new therapies and diagnostic procedures. The MDC is a member of the largest scientific organization in Germany - the Helmholtz Association - and offers a stimulating and interactive research environment with the most modern infrastructure. Currently, 1,250 employees and approximately 500 guests work at the locations in Berlin-Buch and Berlin-Mitte. The diversity of our workforce is a strength and promotes creativity and innovative spirit at the MDC.
Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) Berlin, together with its partners, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin and Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin, invites applicants for PhD positions.
Are you passionate about discovering the basis of health and disease, and applying your findings to answer clinically-relevant questions? Are you interested in one of the following topics?
- Cancer research
- Cardiovascular biology
- Computational biology and data science
- Immunology and inflammation
- Mathematical modeling
- Medical systems biology
- Single cell and omics technologies
- Stem cell research and organoids
- Structural biology and imaging
To become a great scientist, one needs to develop a diverse set of competences. The MDC International PhD Program supports its PhD researchers to grow both personally and scientifically. The structured PhD program comprises a diverse community of about 350 international PhD students and provides:
- An excellent scientific, international, collaborative and inclusive learning environment
- Individualized PhD supervision and mentoring
- Advanced scientific, research-related and methods training
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and core facilities
- Regular lectures, journal clubs and seminar series
- A structured program for personal and career development
- Participation in PhD symposia and retreats
- Travel grants for external courses and conferences
The working language of the program is English.
Students may, in addition, join our in Medical Systems Biology, – MDC-Weizmann Helmholtz International Research School for Imaging from NAno to MESo, or become associated with the interdisciplinary Data Science School.
Berlin is one of the most vibrant cities located in the heart of Europe. In addition to great science, it provides an inclusive and diverse living environment, with an incredible offer of entertainment, cultural and recreational activities.
The MDC is situated at two locations in Berlin: the majority of infrastructure is located on Campus Berlin-Buch, a modern science and biotechnology park with a clear focus on biomedicine, while laboratories and offices of the Berlin Institute for Medical Systems Biology (MDC-BIMSB) are located on Campus Berlin-Mitte. It is a family-friendly environment that offers services to support the compatibility of work and family life, such as campus kindergarten or a fully equipped Parent-child room.
Who are we looking for?
- You are an enthusiastic student with a strong interest in life sciences
- Your degree is in biology, biotechnology, medicine, molecular medicine, chemistry, computer science, data science, engineering, mathematics, physics or a related field
- You hold or expect to obtain a Master degree not later than August 2021
We are committed to meet today’s challenges in biology and medicine and realize that excellent science requires outstanding researchers. If you aspire to be one of them – we are looking forward to receiving your application!
How to apply? Via our ! Applications via email can unfortunately not be accepted.
Application deadline: February 01, 2021.
Desired starting date: Starting dates are arranged on the individual basis, latest 4 months from the interviews (August 2021)
- International working environment with communication in English and German
- Interesting career opportunities and a comprehensive range of qualification and further training opportunities
- Compatibility of family and career certified by the berufundfamilie audit
- Varied support for "New Berliners" (Welcome & Family Office)
- Company health management with fitness center
You also benefit from:
- A remuneration in accordance with the collective agreement for the federal public service (TVöD-Bund), including additional company pension schemes
- Flexible working hours and childcare support
- An idyllic green campus, which is easily accessible by bicycle, public transport or car