The Bioinformatics Group of RNA Structure and Transcriptome Regulation of Prof. I. Meyer at the BIMSB and MDC in Berlin is seeking to recruit a post-doctoral researcher in Bioinformatics. We focus on discovering new mechanisms of transcriptome regulation in diverse biological settings. We have a particular interest in regulatory mechanisms mediated by RNA-structures and trans RNA-RNA interactions. To this end, we develop and apply new computational methods, algorithms and analysis pipelines to analyse large-scale data sets, in particular transcriptome data from next-generation sequencing. We design and utilise machine learning techniques, phylogenetic models and a range of probabilistic methods to tackle exciting, fundamental questions in biology. We work in close collaboration with several experimental research groups to investigate biological systems ranging from differentiating stem cells to cells during virus-infection and expect to engage in
single-cell studies in the near future.
The applicant: We are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious new team member who combines strong skills in computational method development with a keen desire to investigate exciting biological systems. The key attributes sought are the ability to work alone and as part of a team, excellent attention to detail, solid problem solving skills, and the desire to learn and improve. Furthermore, you should
demonstrate your ability to communicate both biological and computational ideas (orally and in writing), time management to deadlines, and a desire to work in an international and multi-disciplinary environment.
- PhD in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Genetics or related fields
- proficiency in object-oriented programming (C++, Java) and developing software in a
- solid background in and high enthusiasm for computational method development
- solid background in machine learning, statistics and programming in R
- ability to write, understand and maintain complex code
- keen interest in investigating biological systems
- excellent communication skills (oral and written) in English
- previous experience of processing and analysing NGS data sets, in particular
- prior expertise with investigated biological systems (e.g. stem cells, virus infections)
- familiarity with compute clusters and software development tools
The MDC is an equal opportunity employer and supports gender equality.
Please, send your application including all documents indicating the registration number preferably by e-mail to email@example.com as pdf files (2 files of 5 MB at the maximum) as we do not return any papers.
Re-numeration according to German TVoeDand experience. (Bund/Ost) E13, depending on qualification
as soon as possible
The position is initially offered for 2 years.
Sunday, 25. February 2018
For further information, contact Irmtraud Meyer ( firstname.lastname@example.org) and see www.mdc-berlin.de/meyer and www.e-rna.org.
How to apply:
(1) Please submit your complete application as a single pdf-file by email to <email@example.com> including
• cover letter
• complete set of university certificates and transcripts
• names and contact details of 3 referees
(2) Please get 3 letters of recommendation to be sent directly to <firstname.lastname@example.org> by the application deadline.