The Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine in the Helmholtz Association (MDC) is a leading international biomedical research center with the goal of elucidating the molecular mechanisms of health and disease in order to create the basis for new therapies and diagnostic procedures. The MDC is a member of the largest scientific organization in Germany - the Helmholtz Association - and offers a stimulating and interactive research environment with the most modern infrastructure. Currently, 1,250 employees and approximately 500 guests work at the locations in Berlin-Buch and Berlin-Mitte. The diversity of our workforce is a strength and promotes creativity and innovative spirit at the MDC.
We are looking to recruit a post-doctoral data scientist to join our team working on the molecular basis of extreme biology using the naked mole-rat as a model. In the group led by Gary Lewin we work to discover and characterize molecular mechanisms that contribute to the unique biology of the naked mole-rat. We hypothesize that the highly social nature of the mole-rat is key to understanding it's extreme biology. The exceptional biology of this species includes hypoxia resistance, cancer resistance, extreme longevity, vocal culture, low metabolic rates and poikilothermy. The group uses multi-omic approaches to decipher the molecular mechanisms underlyng these astonishing traits. See recent group publications:
Park, Reznick et al. Science 2017 PMID 28428423
Eigenbrod et al. Science 2019 PMID 31147513
Barker et al Science in press
We are looking for a highly motivated scientist with data science skills to mine multi-omic datasets from the naked mole-rat and related species.
The candidate will use data science tools to analyze multi-omic datasets. The candidate will also have the opportunity to carry out wet lab experiments.
Excellent doctoral degree in data science or related field
Experience with molecular biology: For example, methods including proteomics, RNA-sequencing, scRNA, metabolomics
Strong interest in biology and evolutionary genetics
Ability to work independently
Excellent written and spoken English
- International working environment with communication in English and German
- Interesting career opportunities and a comprehensive range of qualification and further training opportunities
- Compatibility of family and career certified by the berufundfamilie audit
- Varied support for "New Berliners" (Welcome & Family Office)
- Company health management with fitness center
You also benefit from:
- A remuneration in accordance with the collective agreement for the federal public service (TVöD-Bund), including additional company pension schemes
- Flexible working hours and childcare support
- An idyllic green campus, which is easily accessible by bicycle, public transport or car