The Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine in the Helmholtz Association (MDC) is a leading international biomedical research center with the goal of elucidating the molecular mechanisms of health and disease in order to create the basis for new therapies and diagnostic procedures. The MDC is a member of the largest scientific organization in Germany - the Helmholtz Association - and offers a stimulating and interactive research environment with the most modern infrastructure. Currently, 1,250 employees and approximately 500 guests work at the locations in Berlin-Buch and Berlin-Mitte. The diversity of our workforce is a strength and promotes creativity and innovative spirit at the MDC.
Postdoc Position in the research group “Evolutionary and cancer genomics” of Dr. Roland Schwarz. The candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary team with close connections to our clinical partners.
Our computational research group develops algorithms for investigating intra-tumour heterogeneity and cancer evolution. We are particularly interested in understanding the role of somatic copy-number alterations (SCNA) in cancer evolution, where we have developed algorithms for phasing and phylogenetic inference from SCNAs. We work hand in hand with our clinical partners locally and in international consortia, such as the ICGC Pan-Cancer Analysis of Whole Genomes (PCAWG), ICGC-ARGO and TRACERx.
For further reading and our recent works see:
Watkins et al. 2020, Nature,
PCAWG Transcriptome Core Group et al. 2020, Nature,
Jamal-Hanjani et al. 2017, NEJM,
Schwarz et al. 2014, PLoS Computational Biology,
Candidates will have a PhD in Computer Science, Computational Biology, Biology, or related field with a strong background in quantitative research and ideally prior experience in quantitative cancer research. Successful candidates will show a strong work ethic and should be enthusiastic about working in a highly interdisciplinary environment. Excellent communication skills are therefore required.
- International working environment with communication in English and German
- Interesting career opportunities and a comprehensive range of qualification and further training opportunities
- Compatibility of family and career certified by the berufundfamilie audit
- Varied support for "New Berliners" (Welcome & Family Office)
- Company health management with fitness center
You also benefit from:
- We offer a competitive salary according to German E13 TVöD/Bund
- A remuneration in accordance with the collective agreement for the federal public service (TVöD-Bund), including additional company pension schemes
- Flexible working hours and childcare support
- An idyllic green campus, which is easily accessible by bicycle, public transport or car