The Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine in the Helmholtz Association (MDC) is a leading international biomedical research center with the goal of elucidating the molecular mechanisms of health and disease in order to create the basis for new therapies and diagnostic procedures. The MDC is a member of the largest scientific organization in Germany - the Helmholtz Association - and offers a stimulating and interactive research environment with the most modern infrastructure. Currently, 1,250 employees and approximately 500 guests work at the locations in Berlin-Buch and Berlin-Mitte. The diversity of our workforce is a strength and promotes creativity and innovative spirit at the MDC.
We are looking to recruit a post-doctoral scientist to join our team working on the molecular basis of sensory mechanotransduction. In the group led by Gary Lewin we work to discover and characterize new molecules, including ion channels, that are necessary for the senses of touch and pain. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in molecular neurobiology, and be willing to use a variety of techniques ranging from electrophysiology to advanced imaging to characterize novel molecular transduction components. We generate and use sophisticated mouse models to understand sensory transduction and processing. The group also studies the sensory biology of the naked mole-rat a unique model for biomedical research.
The scientist will work on an ERC funded project to elucidate the molecular basis of touch.
The post-doctoral scientist will use molecular and electrophysiological methods to elucidate the function of novel molecules involved in the transduction of touch.
Excellent doctoral degree in neuroscience, biochemistry, biology, or related discipline
Experience with molecular biology: For example, biochemical methods, including proteomics, RNA-sequencing, western blot, qRT-PCR, and immunohistochemistry
Experience working with animals: For example. behavioral phenotyping and in vivo electrophysiology
Experience with advanced imaging: For example, confocal microscopy, live cell imaging, single molecule imaging.
Ability to work independently
Excellent written and spoken English
- International working environment with communication in English and German
- Interesting career opportunities and a comprehensive range of qualification and further training opportunities
- Compatibility of family and career certified by the berufundfamilie audit
- Varied support for "New Berliners" (Welcome & Family Office)
- Company health management with fitness center
You also benefit from:
- A remuneration in accordance with the collective agreement for the federal public service (TVöD-Bund), including additional company pension schemes
- Flexible working hours and childcare support
- An idyllic green campus, which is easily accessible by bicycle, public transport or car