New students on campus are invited to an orientation session, during which all aspects of doctoral training at the MDC are explained.
1. Supervision and Research progress
Over the course of the PhD, each doctoral researcher will have at least three meetings with a PhD Project Committee, consisting of the PhD supervisor and two additional scientists from the MDC or partner institutions. These meetings are intended to provide researchers with advice and formalized regular guidance regarding the progress of the dissertation project.
2. Science and research-related training
The MDC offers a number of lectures, seminars, and courses for early-career researchers that are advertised through the MDC event database, the MDC training database, the PhD Office, or individual departments. Doctoral researchers can apply for travel grants to support their participation in international scientific courses and workshops, or extended visits at a partner laboratory abroad.
(internal access only)
3. Personal skills training
The MDC offers a range of courses on campus tailored to the needs of early-stage researchers. All courses are announced in the(internal access only).
- Soft-skill courses: These courses cover topics such as scientific communication and presentation, project and time management, leadership and supervision, cooperation and teamwork, networking, intercultural competence etc.
- IT courses for scientists
- Language courses. e.g. intensive German classes for beginners.
4. Presentations and Outreach
PhD researchers are required to present their work to the scientific community on occasions such as the MDC Student seminar presentation, PhD Retreat, Campus symposium or international conferences. Other opportunities include:
- Teaching opportunities, e.g. in the on campus (only in German)
- Outreach and communication to public (e.g. participation in science-slams, the , activities in the ).
The MDC Graduate School supports participation in international conferences via travel grants.
5. Additional activities
PhD researchers at the MDC may get involved in the organization of events such as Graduation Ceremony, PhD Retreat or other campus events (invitation of external speakers, seminars, journal clubs, Career Day etc.).