We have particular emphasis in the field of muscular dystrophies. Patients with immunologically mediated muscle disorders such as polymyositis or myasthenia gravis are also cared for in our clinic. Pharmacologically-induced myopathy is another focus of our clinical and scientific endeavor, in particular statin-induced myopathy. Statins are prescribed to millions to lower cholesterol levels and for stroke prevention. Approximately 10% of patients develop elevations of muscle enzymes with or without myalgias.
Finally!!! Recent change in the Corona Vaccination Regulations!
As of March 10, 2021, the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus vaccination eligibility regulation includes individuals with muscular dystrophies or similar neuromuscular diseases in the high priority group!
We are very relieved that the fight for this has paid off and are pleased that our patients can now be vaccinated even faster.
- Detailed medical history and physical examination
- Analysis and interpretation of myopathological findings in muscle biopsies (in cooperation with other muscle research centers, when required)
- Medical consultations onsite and via phone (appointments for consultations via phone or email)
- Specific genetic diagnostics including diagnostic panels (in cooperation with other muscle research centers, when required)
- Arrangement for genetic counseling appointments
- Electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction velocity testing
- Cooperation with the Center for Chronically Sick Children at Charité for treatment and care for pediatric patients (< 16 years)
- Neuro-orthopedic consultations (orthopedic supports, e.g. walking frames, orthoses)
- Cardiological consultations / diagnostics and follow-up
- Pulmonary function screening and blood gas analysis; cooperation with the Charité Center for Home Ventilation and Oxygen Therapy
- Physio-, occupational- and respiratory therapy consultations
- Bio-banking for muscle stem cells (in progress)
- German Society for Muscular Diseases ( ) contact point
Our University-Out-Patient-Clinic offers treatment for patients suffering from the following muscle diseases:
- Myotonic dystrophy type I and II, and congenital myotonias
- Muscular dystrophies like Duchenne and Becker Muscular Dystrophy, Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy, and Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy
- Toxic myopathies like myopathy induced by statin-therapy or other drugs
- Immunologically induced myopathies like dermato- / polymyositis, inclusion body myositis, and necrotizing myopathy
- Diseases caused by neuromuscular transmission defects like myasthenia gravis, congenital myasthenia, paraneoplastic myasthenia
- Metabolic myopathies, like mitochondriopathies, lipid- and glycogen myopathies
- Myopathies due to neuronal- / nerve diseases like spinal muscle atrophy, amiothrophic lateral sclerosis, neuropathies
- Structural myopathies like nemaline myopathy, desminopathy, myofibrillar myopathy, and malignant hyperthermia
- Myopathy caused by thyroid diseases
- Ion channel diseases
- Critical illness myopathy
Phone: 030 450 540 507
Fax: 030 450 540 907
We discuss each incoming inquiry in our weekly meetings. Afterwards, we contact you to make an appointment.
We would be pleased to present us with our expertise and projects and to answer any questions.
You are welcome to contact Elisabetta Gazzerro ( ), Senior Physician, or Prof. Dr. Simone Spuler ( ) directly.
For further information on our scientific projects, please go to the
Head of the Out-patient Clinic
Prof. Dr. med. Simone Spuler
Responsible senior doctor:
Phone: +49 30 450 540 507
Fax: +49 30 450 540 907
Tue 9 - 12 o'clock
Wed 9 - 15 o'clock
Thu 11 - 15 o'clock
Fr 9 - 11 a.m. (Phone. Speech.)